File a Civil Rights Complaint

If you believe you have been a victim of a crime, including a hate crime, you should first contact the Rhode Island State Police or your local police department.

Under the Civil Rights Advocate statute, R.I. Gen. Laws § 42-9.3-1 et seq., the Attorney General’s Office may seek injunctive or other equitable relief and/or seek a civil penalty of up to $5000 payable to the State. Conduct prohibited by the Civil Rights Advocate statute includes threats, damage or destruction of property, trespass on property, or physical force or violence that is motivated by a discriminatory animus or that otherwise interferes with federal or state law or the United States or Rhode Island constitutions.

By law, the Attorney General’s Office cannot seek monetary damages on your behalf. If you believe your civil rights have been violated and you wish to seek monetary damages, you may want to contact a private attorney.

Under Rhode Island law, if a crime was motivated by the perpetrator’s hatred or animus of a protected group (disability, religion, color, race, national origin, gender, or sexual orientation), a sentencing enhancement might apply under the Hate Crimes Sentencing Act, R.I. Gen. Laws § 12-19-38.

PLEASE NOTE: Completing this form is the first step in determining whether this Office can provide assistance; it does not necessarily mean that this Office will initiate either a civil or criminal action. . The information you provide may be forwarded to the appropriate law enforcement and/or administrative agency at the discretion of this Office to assist in the investigation of your complaint.

File an online complaint here.