Open Government

The Open Meetings Act (OMA) and the Access to Public Records Act (APRA) establish important requirements for ensuring that government in Rhode Island is carried out in an open and transparent manner. Our open government team:

  • Investigates complaints against public bodies in Rhode Island for alleged violations of these statutes
  • Issues findings and files lawsuits to enforce the statutes when appropriate
  • Processes APRA requests to this Office for public documents
  • Provides training and resources on the requirements of the OMA and the APRA, including at our signature event, the annual Open Government Summit

Search APRA and OMA findings on our database powered by Clerkbase.

Access and search open government findings

Access helpful training resources (guides, videos, and more) and what you need to earn you annual APRA certification.

Access training resources and APRA certification Open Government Summit

File a complaint with our open government team if you believe a public body has violated the OMA or the APRA. You can submit a complaint by sending a brief statement, along with any relevant information and documents, to, or mail to:

Attn: Open Government Unit

Rhode Island Office of the Attorney General

150 South Main Street

Providence, RI 02903

Learn how to request public records maintained by the Office of the Attorney General.

  • Guidelines for your request

    If you are seeking public documents maintained by the Office of the Attorney General, you can submit an Access to Public Records Act request by following the guidelines below. Note: Our response will only pertain to documents maintained by the Office of the Attorney General. If you are seeking documents from a different state entity or public body, you should submit your request directly to that entity or public body.

    APRA guidelines (download)
  • Submitting your request

    After you have reviewed our guidelines for submitting an APRA request for records maintained by our Office, submit your request by mail, hand delivery, email, or through our online request form.